Monday, July 7, 2014

My Bower Bird

We had the privilege of studying the Flying Creatures of the Fifth Day, during our 2012-2013 homeschool year. We studied a vast array of birds, insects and even flying dinosaurs. Mom is learning just as much as these sweet babes. Birds have courtship patterns for attracting mates, information I had to relate to people as much as possible to help my little ones understand courtship. I am SOOOOO not to the point of introducing certain "birds and bees" topics with them just yet. So, where am I going with all of this? Well, I am not introducing YOU to the "birds and the bees", but with all of this home buying, selling and renovation/restoration, my memory recalls a certain bird we studied that intrigued me. The bowerbird! "They are renowned for their unique courtship behaviour, where males build a structure and decorate it with sticks and brightly colored objects in an attempt to attract a mate." ~Wikipedia These birds build extravagant homes, also known bowers, for their mates some even as elaborate as having marked paths and structured roofs. Then they decorate them with brightly colored, ornate objects and materials. Some use glass, berries, feathers, flowers, leaves, glass and even ribbon, bits of yarn, buttons and most anything else that strikes their fancy. All of this reminds me of the wonderful man I have in my mate...my Bowerbird. Wouldn't he love it that I am comparing him to a bird?

My man is building our bower! He is spending VERY LONG hours preparing our new home for occupation. And, being the frugal, thrifty family that we are, my bowerbird is doing a lot of the work himself. He is gone a lot, working a regular work day and going straight to the house, working all night, and many times into the morning. He has really good friends who are sacrificing time all for us as well. But, he isn't just one of those go out and get 'er done kinda guys. He calls regularly to get my approval on dimensions, placement, and has even given me exclusive rights to most of the superficial things! He is doing this for us! He is learning so much and is becoming more confident with his newly acquired skills. It seems like forever since I have gone to sleep beside him at night. The kids miss him tremendously, and he has even had to sacrifice and miss a couple of ballgames. It is only for a short time and it will be worth it! We love you, Daddy!!

 I miss my man!

No comments:

Post a Comment