Monday, January 21, 2013

Dreams

He had a dream. What stirs of emotion did that dream bring still today. I have heard that great speech before, but why had it not always made my heart pound so? Maybe it was the little ears listening. Today I introduced my oldest homeschoolers to the great speech by Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., I Have A Dream. We listened to the words by his own voice. The impact was great seeing him stand in that massive crowd of thousands who believed desperately in his cause and hearing his voice with such conviction that day in 1963.

"I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal."

"I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood."

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

"I have a dream that one day, down in Alabama, with its vicious racists, with its governor having his lips dripping with the words of interposition and nullification; one day right there in Alabama, little black boys and black girls will be able to join hands with little white boys and white girls as sisters and brothers."

" I have a dream that one day every valley shall be exalted, every hill and mountain shall be made low, the rough places will be made plain, and the crooked places will be made straight, and the glory of the Lord shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together."

His words gripped me today just like a Baptist preacher of old can do. As I sat listening, becoming engulfed in the realization of those without freedom. Suddenly my daughter's words captured my attention. "Mom, is this making you cry?" On the verge of overwhelm, I was grasping a former reality. The enormity of it had settled on me. How could this treatment have ever been acceptable by any human culture? 
 
Surrounded by racism in some form or fashion all of my life, the thought of walking a mile in those shoes never really lingered more than a moment. But as I was handing down this value of compassion and equality to those who would carry my legacy, the importance became undeniable.

Dreams, they do come true...some of them. Many of his dreams have come true today. I still have hope that our nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed. But I rejoice that today we are equal by law, but most importantly in the eyes of our Creator. And that we do hold hands, every color, and sit at the table of brotherhood together. Although, my greatest hope remains in the future. For fulfillment will come embodied in our Savior and the glory of the Lord WILL be revealed and all flesh WILL see it. Even so, come Lord Jesus!

 In response to our discussion of segregation, discrimination and equality, my little ones declared their own dreams. How precious!

 A warrior of the cause for good...


A lover of a Savior...

And freedom of expression.

No comments:

Post a Comment