Sunday, July 30, 2017

Homeschool Buffet

My mother-in-law gave me a buffet as they were moving to Florida a few years ago. I decided to give it a new look. I wanted it to be a little bit funky to go in our classroom to hold books, organize craft supplies and other homeschool articles. I gave it a good cleaning with degreaser I had left over from remodeling our first kitchen. Then I applied a sanding solution we bought from Lowe's. It is supposed to remove the sandpaper step. Next I chose an oil-based paint color, Bird of Paradise.....or something equally tropical. I applied two coats of paint with several days of drying in between. Oil based paint takes much longer to dry than latex, but I wanted the pain to stick! Then I distressed it pretty heavily. I applied a coat of Polycrylic for protection. I bought new knobs and pulls from Hobby Lobby and VOILA! I love the way it turned out. The bright pop of color is just what our classroom needed.

 
 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment